It can be difficult to monitor the elderly 24/7 via phone or other mediums. Indoor cameras are great to check on their safety and monitor their well-being.
You have 24/7 access to monitor and communicate with older adults through the in-built microphones and speakers and help them with daily activities like medication reminders.
We have selected the 5 best indoor cameras for the elderly on the basis of their features, user feedback and ratings and expert opinions. These are the best cameras for elderly monitoring and security.
All 5 cameras are reviewed in detail below. Here are quick picks for you, if you are in hurry to pick the best indoor camera for elderly.
- Best Over All – Ring Indoor Camera
- Most Features Option – Google Nest Cam
- Best Budget Option – Wansview Camera
5 Best Indoor Cameras – The Detailed Review
The key features of each indoor camera are highlighted in the below table.
1. Google Nest Cam – Most Features
Google’s Nest Cam can be used as an outdoor or indoor camera for elderly. It comes with the most features that any monitoring or security camera can have. The key features include:
- Know What is Happening 24/7 or Go Back in Time: You can check in on elderly loved ones with 1080 HDR video or see the past recordings of 3 hours of history for free. You can check from anywhere with night vision and also add Nest Aware Subscription (sold separately) for 60 days of recorded video history
- Easy Installation and No Electricity Required: You can install a Nest cam indoors or outdoors very easily as a magnetic mount makes installation effortless. It is battery powered so no need to set it up near an outlet.
- Stream Live Video Feed: You can stream live video using Google Assistant or compatible smart displays, Alexa, tablets and smart TVs
- Two-way Communication: Talk and listen using a built-in mic and speaker.
- Set up Security Zone: Receive notifications about specific areas in the home and know when familiar faces arrive.
If your WiFi goes down, Nest has 1 hour of local backup storage that you can refer back.
- Indoor and outdoor usage
- Battery-powered or wired with cable
- 3 hours of video history and 1-hour local backup in case of a power outage or WiFi down
- Best 1080 HDR video quality
- Night vision and noise cancelation
- High price
- WiFi only
2. Ring Indoor Cam – Best Overall Indoor Camera for Elderly
Ring’a Indoor HD Camera is the best indoor camera for elderly because of its great features, HD video and reasonable price. Some of the features include:
- Two-way Communication: You can see, hear and speak to seniors from your phone, tablet or Amazon Echo device
- Cover the Entire Home: You can put multiple Ring indoor cameras in different parts of the home and connect them in Ring app to cover the entire home
- Easy to Install: Place it on a flat surface or wall and plug it into a standard outlet. Follow the steps in the Ring app to connect to WiFi and you are done.
- HD Videos: You can access 1080p HD live view video 24/7. With Ring Protect Plan (sold separately), record videos for 180 days and share videos/photos.
Real-time notifications, 1080p HD live video and two-way talk make Ring indoor cam the best camera for elderly monitoring. Industry experts praise Ring Indoor Camera because of easy installation, great overall performance and good quality video.
- 1080p HD video live show and two-way communication
- Easy to install with standard outlet and WiFi
- Real-time notifications, compatible with Alexa
- Night vision and noise cancelation
- Affordable price and has less subscription fee as compared to Google Nest
- Indoor monitoring only
- Electricity-powered, no battery usage
3. Wyze Cam Pan
The next best indoor camera for elderly is Wyze’s Cam Pan V2. It has 1080P video and night vision features. Other highlights include:
- Pan, Tilt and Zoom: See the whole room via the Wyze app. Panning has 360-degree left and right rotation. Tilting has 93 degrees up/down range.
- Real-time Live Stream: Monitor elderly loved ones from mobile 24/7 in full 1080p HD.
- Two-way Audio: Speak and hear with the senior on the other side
- Motion and Sound Detection: Records video when motion and sounds are detected and send notification on mobile
- 1080p HD video and night vision
- Two-way communication
- Easy to install and use
- Motion detection is not great. You receive unnecessary notifications when movement of any kind is detected like plant leaves or window curtain movements
- Speaker volume is low, not great for seniors with hearing impairment
This camera is best for basic functions of monitoring but not an excellent choice if you want to communicate with seniors through the camera or use the motion detection feature.
Eufy’s indoor cam is another indoor camera for elderly that has all the basic functions. It comes with pan and tilt, human and pet AI, WiFi connection and night vision. Other features are:
- Live Stream: View live stream up to 2K clarity (1080 while using HomeKit)
- View the Whole Room: The camera detects the motions. Pan the lens 360 degrees horizontally and 96 degrees vertically to get a view of the entire room.
- Two-way Communication: Speak to the elderly on the other side through built-in audio connection
- Dual Storage: Local and cloud storage options
- Live room monitoring, 24/7 in 2K video
- Two-way communication with the person on the other side
- Dual storage – local and cloud
- No 1080p HD video
This camera is surprisingly good and has great feedback and ratings from customers. Its local storage option is loved by users.
5. Wansview Camera – Best Budget Option
Wansview is the best indoor camera for elderly in this price range. It comes with all the options that are needed to monitor an elderly loved one. The following features make it the best camera for elderly monitoring.
- HD Video: Clear live video with 1080p HD resolution
- Two-way Audio: The camera comes with the option to talk with seniors on the other side, using a built-in microphone and speaker.
- Smart Pan, Tilt and Zoom: 360-degree coverage and 4X zoom to enlarge the video for details.
- Real-time Motion Detection: Alert notifications in case of unusual movement with 10 seconds clip.
- Easy to Install and Use: Connect to power and WiFi and enjoy live video stream through Wansview app (iOS and android). You can place the camera on a table or hang it on the wall.
Wansview camera has the best rating and reviews from users because of its quality and extensive features in this price range. It is one of the most popular in-home cameras for elderly monitoring.
- 1080p HD video and two-way communication
- Motion sensor with notification alerts
- Local (SD) and cloud storage
- Night vision and Alexa compatibility
- Best camera at this price
- You may get slight noise when moving angles to see around, as mentioned by some users
Buyer’s Guide: 5 Features to look for in a Best Indoor Camera for Elderly
1. Video Quality
Many indoor cameras claim to have 1080p HD quality live stream but they only achieve 1080p HD quality when WiFi signals are best. All the above cameras have great video quality streams.
2. Two-Way Communication
This is an important feature of an indoor camera for seniors. You want to not only monitor but talk with older adults sometimes. If you want to remind them about daily medication, you should be able to convey your message through the camera.
3. Night Vision
Another important feature to have in an indoor camera is night vision. Color night vision cameras cost more but give you clear video at night times.
4. Cloud Storage
Some indoor cameras come with a local storage option and you may get SD card with the camera or buy it separately. Other indoor cameras only have cloud storage of video history.
You should check cloud storage price plans before deciding best indoor camera for elderly. The Ring camera has lower subscription charges than Google’s Nest cam, making it ideal for online video storage and backup.
5. Easy to Install and Use
This is something you need to look into when buying a camera for the elderly. Where do you want to install the camera? On a wall or on a shelve? Check the installation options.
You may want to find if the camera is battery-operated if you want it to work without electricity. All the above cameras have multiple installation options and are very easy to set up and use.
When buying the best camera for elderly monitoring, you may not need some features like movement alert notifications or a lengthy video cloud storage plan. So, it is important to have a clear mind of what features you want. An indoor camera does not really require the waterproof feature but it is essential for outdoor cameras.
All the above cameras are best for indoor elderly monitoring on basis of great features, excellent reviews and feedback from users.